Sunday, May 23, 2010

Caterpillars!

A few weeks back, the boys found a couple caterpillars and brought them home...

Nathan named his new pet "Big Red."
And Trever named his "Mr. Wiggly."
We made a new home for them.

And the boys spent every afternoon playing with them.

Trever made sure I knew that caterpillars really can be pets. And Nathan kept calling to them "Kitty, Kitty," and 'petting' the 'fur' on their backs.
After about a week, though, their caterpillars started to form cocoons...
So we transferred them to these more protective glass jars:

And then, we waited and waited and waited......

But our little caterpillars haven't budged. It's been a few weeks now, and I think maybe we won't be seeing any butterflies. I was hopeful, but not surprised, since, well---you saw the video clip. haha. But it's been a fun little experiment, keeping them as "pets" and seeing what little progress they did make. And who knows, maybe they'll finally "come out of their shells." If they do, I'll be sure to post pictures. But I thought I'd post this for now, since the rain kept us indoors and adventure-less this weekend.

So here's to caterpillars! And here's to a new week ahead of us.....fresh and full of potential!

2 comments:

Sierra Parke said...

Haha! I love the video clip...boys will be boys. So cute.

Patty Sampson said...

So cute! I hope you are rewarded with butterflies after all...