
On Labor Day, my mom and I drove the boys up into the mountains for some good-old-fashioned huckleberry hunting.

Huckleberries, for those of you who don't know, are a native berry of our area. They are tiny purple bush berries with a fragrant scent and a deliciously sweet & unique taste.

After a rocky ride up the dirt roads to the top of the mountains, we parked our car and roamed the berry-bush-covered mountain-sides, hunting for Huckleberries.

I was raised in a family that made Huckleberry picking an annual autumn tradition, but by boys have never been, so I was eager to let them experience one of my favorite childhood pastimes.

While Nathan stayed glued to my side, I tried to pick as many of the purple berries as I could, but he just couldn't resist dipping into my berry bucket and snacking on handfuls of berries--faster than I could pick them. I tried to show him how to find the berries on his own, but what was the point when it was so much easier to eat what I had already found? Silly kid!

Trever and Maunya found their own patches to pick from and were much more successful at filling their buckets than me and my little guy.

I was so proud of Trever for resisting the urge to eat every berry. He did such a great job at filling up his little berry cup.

We spent a just a couple hours hunting for berries, before the boys had their fill of the sport and were ready to head home. But we all had a wonderful time and even managed to get home with a few berries still left in the bucket. haha.
~
4 comments:
You are such a great mother. I love your pictures of Idaho-it makes me 'homesick.':-)
Idaho is absolutely beautiful, what great photography! I am very curious to taste a huckleberry now! I wish I had your knack for looking so cute while doing rugged outdoor activities :)
Its really beautiful there! The boys look great! Miss you lots!
Idaho is sooo gorgeous! I can see why you guys love it so much. How fun to be sharing your childhood memories of picking berries with the boys. I'm so glad you are all doing so well and I'm glad to hear that Trever is LOVING kindegarten.
Post a Comment