Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Last Minute Leprechaun

I should have posted this sooner, but I've been a little busier lately since I started up a new blog with my mom & sisters:
 
http://www.sister-pie.blogspot.com/
~
But I did take a few pictures from St. Patrick's Day, which I almost missed, but the boys wouldn't let me....
On St. Patrick's Day morning, I woke Trever up as usual to get ready for school. The first thing he did was run out to the living room and say, "Hey, I thought there would be a pot of gold this morning!"
Hint #1 for me.
As I had mentioned, I've been a little busier lately and neglected to plan anything for St. Patrick's Day. My bad, I know. But I thought maybe the boys wouldn't care much.
Wrong. Trever was quite unsettled about it. Before he left to catch the bus, he warned me, "If there's not a pot of gold here when I get home from school today, then I won't believe in 'The Leprechaun' anymore."
Hint #2 or was that a threat?
I've been wondering if he still believed in these things when he told me the other day that he's been doubting the reality of the Easter Bunny.......
But I decided I might as well do something fun anyway.

So, while Trever was at school, Nathan and I hit the dollar store. He was too busy looking at the toys to notice me collecting a few party favors, along the way. We also picked up some Werther's Originals to be the "gold," since they're wrapped fittingly. But we didn't have time to get home and set things up before I had to pick up Trever from school.

So, we got home and my "pot of gold" stuff was still in the grocery bags.
Trever walked in the door, looked around and said, "Okay, now I don't believe in 'the Leprechaun' for sure!"
Hint #3
He was pretty disappointed, and I'm pretty sure it was directed toward me.
I brainstormed as quick as I could, and the first thing I came up with was Shamrocks!
I casually wandered into my room, grabbed a piece of green paper, cut out several Shamrocks and wrote simple 'clues' on each one.
Then, I asked Trever to take the dog outside to go potty, and locked the door. (I know that sounds bad, but I didn't want him to come back in too soon.)
Then, I ran to the kitchen, grabbed a soup pot, spilled out the party favors & candy in it, set it on the stove, then scattered the shamrock clues around the house.
He started pounding on the door as I was placing the final clues. So, I quickly finished up, opened the door and tried to act casual. The first shamrock was on the rug by the front door, so I casually looked down and said, "Hey, what's that you're stepping on? Is that some sort of Leprechaun clue or something?"

Immediately, Trever lit up with eager anticipation and ran around the house, hunting for clues, with his curious younger brother right on his tail.
After a short scavenger hunt, the clues led to the pot on the stove. Both boys were ecstatic! I was relieved. It all worked out and we had a Happy St. Patrick's Day!
Oh, and Trever declared that he believes in "The Leprechaun" after all.
Then we topped off the evening with asparagus, pickles and green olives, too.
~
I tried, but next year, I'll be sure to plan ahead for this oh-so-important holiday!
hahaha

4 comments:

The Schexnayders said...

Your such a good mom! I didnt do anything for Saint Patty day... I didnt even dress him in green. Ill do better next year, thanks for the fun ideas!

Sierra Parke said...

Great work SHilowe! Last year I totally dropped the ball and did absolutely nothing, but this year I did a scavenger hunt with gold chocolate coins (thanks to you from last year!) I'll have to remember this pot of gold idea for next year too!

SPENCERS said...

Quick thinking on your feet--I'm impressed, Shilowe! And what a great idea!

Rana said...

cute idea! you saved the day after all! I didn't even know the day it was saint patricks day that it was saint patricks day. but that is cute! trever is so funny!