Sunday, June 20, 2010

Haircut, Beach & Dad's Day

Well, I couldn't take it any longer.....

As cute as it was, Nathan's hair had to go. It was just getting so shaggy and unmanageable that I finally talked him into a haircut. It started with a bribe: a BIG candy bar. But he wanted ice cream. So I agreed. But after the first razor buzz, he ran away. So I upped the stakes: a trip to the beach. But he wanted Chuck E. Cheese. So I agreed. Another few swipes with the razor, and he was gone again. So, the threats began: No big candy bar; No Ice Cream; No Beach trip; AND NO CHUCK E. CHEESE! Well, that did the trick. He reluctantly returned, covered his eyes, buried his face in my lap and held still as best he could until I finished.
Finally!
It wasn't until after his haircut, however, that when I looked at my clean-cut little guy, I realized that I'd just shaved off the last remaining evidence of my baby boy. He just looks so much older to me, now.....which made me a little sad to see my baby getting so big. But he got his requested ice cream, a rain-check on Chuck E. Cheese's, AND a trip to the beach.....
Well, okay, so we were planning a trip to Point Pleasant Beach anyway, but he sure felt special.
Trever felt pretty special too, when he got to go out into the big waves with TJ. It kindof looks like they're kissing in this picture, but their not, haha. TJ was holding Trever up when a big wave splashed them. I stayed on the shore with Nathan until they returned and then TJ watched the boys while I swam out by myself. The water was a bit cool, but refreshing on such a hot day. I was having a great time, until a HUGE wave came up behind me and shoved me under. When I came up, all I saw was TJ laughing hysterically and pointing to the next wave behind me. But it was too late, I got pushed under again. Then I was laughing as I made my way to the shore...but not before I was pushed down one more time. TJ laughed and laughed and wished out loud that he'd had his camcorder. Luckily for him, I was laughing too. haha.
Back in the sand, the boys and I warmed back up, while TJ went back out into the water. He reminded me of a little kid: splashing in the waves, swimming around, and smiling back at me and the boys. haha. I admit it's really fun out there. And he did admit later, that he got pushed down by a few waves himself.

Nathan was a tired little guy, since we got there at his usual nap time. So he spent most of his time relaxing in the hot sand. The other part of the time, he spent trying to get sand out of his eyes and mouth, but he refused to lay on the towels. Silly kid. As long as he was happy, though.....
~
And today, on Father's Day, we just took the day easy.
TJ is such a fantastic father. When we were dating, one of his qualities I admired most was how well he interacted with children, and I knew he'd be a great dad. But it wasn't until he actually became a father that I saw just how great he is. He is so great at playing with the boys and teaching them new things and helping them, encouraging them, and providing for them. One of the most important things he does as a father is that: he sees the potential in them, while I still picture them as my babies; and he helps them achieve more than I think they're ready to handle; but they can do it because they know their dad believes in them. I am so very grateful for all he does for our family. Happy Father's Day, honey! I love you!
~
And this is my Dad:
This picture was taken on my wedding day. One of his friends gave him this tire-changing tool as a little joke; since the night before, I got a flat tire on the drive home and he came to my rescue. And that's what I love so much about my Dad. I've always known that I can call him for help at any moment and he'd be there as soon as possible. I feel so blessed to have a father who cares so much, sacrifices so much, and teaches with so much love. He's one of my best friends and one of the greatest examples of hard-work, integrity, patience, generosity, faithfulness, kindness and unconditional love. I love you, Dad! Happy Father's Day and thanks for everything!
~
And a Happy Father's Day to all the wonderful fathers I know! Have a great day!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nathan looks so cute! I'm glad that you guys had fun today.

Sierra Parke said...

That Nathan is sooo funny! What a cutie. Glad you guys had such a great time at the beach. Looks like you picked a perfect day to go too.