Thursday, May 14, 2009

BACK FROM IDAHO

We just returned from a pleasantly long visit to our sweet home of Idaho. It was particularly nice to go there after the snow had melted and the excitement of spring danced in the wind.

Trever and Nathan were eager to explore life in the country. While Nathan enjoyed riding the "tractor," Trever was right at home atop "Maunya's" horses. (When Trever was learning to speak, he couldn't say 'Grandma,' so he decided to name my mom 'Maunya,' and thus it's remained.)

The dogs were happy to have some new little playmates around.


And even the horses and cute cousin Jaydon seemed interested in the new little house guests.

TJ made sure to go fishing with his brother and caught some beautiful German Brown Trout that made a very delicious dinner complete with homemade Idaho french fries. Yum!

Although Easter was the weekend before we arrived in Idaho, Maunya wanted to celebrate the holiday with her two oldest grand kids and cousin Jaydon. There were plenty of eggs to be found and even a fluffy white bunny on the loose!


We spent a very special day at the Rexburg LDS Temple where my brother and his beautiful wife and son were sealed together as a family for all eternity. I felt very blessed to be there and remember how important my family is to me.

It wasn't long before Maunya had the boys geared-up: Cowboy Style! And they were soon off chasing chickens, petting horses, and getting good and dirty.


We also spent a beautiful day in the mountains with TJ's parents who took us four-wheeling. Trever and Nathan were in heaven! I love the mountains and I hadn't realized how much I've missed them until we came here.

"Baby Animal Day," at the Blackfoot, ID fairgrounds was another fun-filled day for the boys. There were plenty of farm animals to be pet: cows, pigs, sheep, llamas, goats, chicks, ducklings, bunnies, ponies and snakes. I'm not quite sure what the snakes had to do with the rest of the lot, but the boys sure thought they were interesting.



Trever was fearless around the animals and he even milked a goat!


Just look at those cute little chicks and those long pretty lashes! And brave Trever was quite the snake charmer!


Trever couldn't believe he got to climb aboard a real train. He made a cute little conductor! Of course, we couldn't pass up a 'photo opp.' in front of the giant spud! And yes, there really is a museum dedicated to potatoes. Only in Idaho! ha ha


Since Trever and Nathan's birthdays are coming up, we decided to celebrate early and roasted hot dogs and S'mores with my parents and siblings at Plano Park.

We sung "Happy Birthday" to Trever and then to Nathan, who each got a chance to make a wish and blow out their birthday candles.


On Mother's Day, we drove out to scenic Palisades, Idaho. Since I was a little girl, I've always thought of Palisades as the "Great Valley" (from 'The Land Before Time') because it is surrounded by majestic mountains and couldn't be more delicious to the eye. The photo on the right is the back porch view from the home of my Dad's parents. Ahh...so serene.


We also went to the home of TJ's parents, where we had another birthday celebration for Trever and Nathan with all of their fantastic cousins. Again, Trever and Nathan got to make birthday wishes and blow out their candles. What a pair of lucky boys!

And before our visit was over, we made sure to get one more horse ride in. Every time we go to Idaho it's such a special gift. I love sharing my own childhood experiences with my boys and so much of that can only be found in beautiful Idaho. It is also wonderful to be surrounded by the love of our families, and to share that sense of family unity with our children.
Truly, there's no place like home.

7 comments:

Amy said...

It looks like you guys had a great time in Idaho! Your boys are so darling in their "cowboy" attire. I also realized how much I miss the mountains when we went back to Utah this Spring. I am glad you got to spend some time with family but you were also missed here.

The Schexnayders said...

I agree with you. Going home is the best! Idaho looks really nice, I have never been there but would love to go someday.

mallena said...

I'm glad we at least got to see you at Walmart! It looks like your time here was busy and well-spent. The view from your grandparent's porch is beautiful! What a great place to have a home.

Kevin, Kelsey and Annalise.... said...

How fun! It looks like you all had a lot of fun back home, that is awesome. Those are some lucky boys with all those fun animals and double birthday parties! It is great to have you guys back!

Patty Sampson said...

I can't get over how much SPACE there is out there! I keep forgetting. ;) And congratulations on your brother's sealing! I am so happy for you! And your little boys made adorable cowboys. I am sure Maunya really had fun with them.

Sierra Parke said...

Wow! What beautiful pictures you posted Shilowe. I loved looking at them. I am so happy you got to see your brother and his family sealed too. How special! We are looking forward to hanging out with you guys again. Oh, and T.J.---cool picture with the fish!

emily a. said...

I can tell how happy you are there. I loved all the pictures but that last one is my favorite of you on the horse with your boys.

Glad you are back- we missed seeing you guys!