Sunday, April 5, 2009

RITE OF PASSAGE

ARCH STREET MEETING HOUSE

This lovely building was the setting of TJ's Rite of Passage Ceremony on Friday. The ceremony is also referred to as the 'White Coat Ceremony' because all of the podiatry students receive their white 'clinic' coats and a pin that symbolizes their 'passage' from studying and test taking into the actual clinic where they begin their hands-on education of foot care.

On the left, TJ is receiving his pin from one of the staff members. (He's standing on the far left, bottom step.) The lighting in the building was not great for picture taking, as you can see. But it was a really neat building--one of the first in Philadelphia, it was originally the Quaker meetinghouse.

After all the students received their pins, they recited in unison, "THE DECLARATION OF GENEVA":

"Upon beginning my responsibilities in the care of patients, I solemnly pledge myself to consecrate my life to the service of humanity.

I will give to my teachers the respect and gratitude which is their due.

I will practice my profession with conscience and dignity.

The health of my patients will be my first consideration.

I will respect the secrets which are confided in me.

I will maintain, by all the means in my power, the honor and the noble traditions of the podiatric medical profession.

My colleagues will be my brothers and sisters.

I will not permit considerations of religion, nationality, race, party politics, or social standing to intervene between my duty and my patient.

I will maintain the utmost respect for human life, even under threat, I will not use my medical knowledge contrary to the laws of humanity. I make these promises solemnly, freely and upon my honor.

If I keep this oath, may I receive Divine guidance in the practice of my art."

It was a very nice ceremony, and I even got my exercise! Yes, I brought the boys. I had previously asked a friend to babysit them, but when TJ found out that children were welcome, we decided to take the boys. Trever did very well, sitting quietly and eating his snacks. But Nathan, just couldn't keep still. I chased him all over that blessed building!

I can't tell you how proud I am of TJ! And, while Nathan is still too young to understand, I could tell that Trever knew this was a special day for his Daddy.

Here is TJ with all of his podiatry buddies. They are all members of the Church, married with children, and have a lot in common--like playing Ping Pong during lunch break! I'm so glad that he has made such great friends.

It was a great day. And when we came home, Trever and Nathan found an Easter package from Grandma & Grandpa Martin, that made it even better! Thank you Grandma & Grandpa!

5 comments:

mallena said...

Congratulations to both of you for all the hard work in getting to this point. Doug's white coat ceremony was before he even started classes. I didn't know anyone there so I was trying to keep the girls quiet. I didn't get a single picture. :(

The boys look adorable in their matching sweaters!

Sierra Parke said...

I'm glad we got to share T.J. and Conan's special day together. I am sure proud of them too. Trever and Nathan did such a great job during the ceremony. I was impressed.

Patty Sampson said...

Congratulations!! I am so proud of TJ, and so grateful that you got to support him by attending the ceremony. How cool that so many LDS guys are in the program and are able to support one another in the process. Good luck! And thanks for posting the words to the Declaration. I had never heard it before. :)

Suzette said...

Congratulations TJ. That is awesome. I'm very proud of you. I know it is a sacrifice to leave "home" to go do schooling, you guys are doing so great with it. Keep up the good work.

nate and gloria said...

Congratulations T.J. We are proud of you. When will you start sending us the big $$$ that you owe us for raising you? (BTW: This is Sue using mom's new account)