Trever had an eventful week last week. He'd mentioned that he felt a loose tooth on his bottom row and had been wiggling it around for weeks. Well, last Tuesday, he came home from school and decided "Today's the day!" I asked him if he wanted to wait till "Dad" came home, but he was too eager to experience his first "lost tooth."
~
When I was a little girl and started loosing teeth, it was always the most traumatic experience. I vividly remember each tooth being pulled and the fear and agony I felt each time. I would spend hours in the bathroom pulling it slightly, then getting sick to my stomach and having to talk myself into pulling some more. Then, my parents would try to help. Dad would get the pliers out and try to pull it, scaring me to death--although that was not his intention. haha. While Mom's form of encouragement was: "Just buck up, and pull it out," being the tough cowgirl that she is. To my parents, it wasn't a big deal. But to me, it was awful, something I hated. Thus, the process of me loosing a tooth was hours of anguish, every time. We're talking major drama. haha.
~
So, given my past experience of loosing teeth, I was so worried and anxious for Trever, and continuously asked him if he was sure he was ready and how he wanted to go about this "pulling of the tooth." Well, he casually sat down on the couch and calmly started twisting it. So, I went about with washing the dishes, thinking he was contemplating whether he wanted to go through with this, when the next thing I knew, he was heading toward the bathroom, saying, "It's coming out!" So, I grabbed the camcorder, and my camera, and raced in, right behind him. He stood in front of the mirror, still calming twisting away, then suddenly, POP! "It's out!" he exclaimed, while I simultaneously screamed in surprise. I couldn't believe it! He made it look so simple! I actually stood there in shock for a moment, saying "Really? It's really out? You pulled it out?" I was truly amazed! Then, I realized I needed to check in with reality and help him rinse his mouth, ect. So I did, but I just couldn't believe how easily he had pulled his tooth out. No fuss, no fear.
Just a simple little thing for him.
He was so excited! "I can't wait to bring it to school!" he said. I guess all the students bring their lost teeth to school, these days. I was surprised he'd rather wait a day for the Tooth Fairy to come, just so he could bring it to school, but that's what he wanted to do. And that's what he did. As soon as he came home from school the next day, he immediately put his tooth in his little tooth box and tucked it under the pillow. And first thing, the following morning, he jumped out of bed and pulled his reward out from under his pillow: a dollar!
~
He was pretty proud of himself and his first "naturally lost" tooth. The dentist actually pulled out one of his top row teeth earlier this year, because it was a "bad tooth." But this tooth was lost all on it's own! The next thing he knew, however, was that he actually had another loose tooth---right next to the one he'd lost. So, he started working on that one, wiggling it all day. Fortunately for TJ, who was sad he'd missed the first lost tooth, he happened to be home (last Friday) when Trever wiggled the next tooth out. Trever wasn't actually intending to loose it at that moment, thinking he was just wiggling it as usual, and the surprised look on his face when it came half-way out, was priceless! We all ran to the bathroom, as he finished the matter, by pulling it the rest of the way out. Again, I was amazed! He just makes it look so easy!
Since this was a Friday after school that he lost his second tooth, he faithfully held onto it until Monday, taking it to school as he'd done with the first. Then, Monday night, he tucked the tooth under his pillow, with no warning to Mom and Dad. Well, needless to say, the Tooth Fairy forgot to come that night. Oops! Trever was pretty upset! But we reassured him that sometimes the Tooth Fairy stops by during the afternoon nap hour to check for teeth, too. And sure enough, when Trever came home from school, there was another dollar under his pillow! haha.
~
On another note:
I am so grateful to see beautiful sunsets again.
We lived in Philadelphia for three years, and never saw the sun set, being surrounded by tall buildings and towering trees in every direction. I craved to see sunsets, like I had all my life before in Idaho.
And now, I can again.
And now, I can again.
Seeing sunsets like this make me feel
like home is just around the corner.
like home is just around the corner.



No comments:
Post a Comment