Friday, July 8, 2011

Yes, We're Still Alive

Hey Everyone, I know it's been way too long, since I last posted and I know you're probably wondering what's going on, now that we've moved to Colorado. My apologies for keeping you waiting so long, but I finally found a few minutes, while the boys are busy playing with play-dough, to get some pictures posted.
~
First Photo: At the Greeley Stampede's Pro Rodeo
 TJ got free rodeo tickets from work, so one of the first activities we've done here in Colorado is go to the rodeo. 
 Nothing beats a good ol' western rodeo! One of the things I missed while we were in Philadelphia was going to summer rodeos. I love it all--the smell of the dirt, the horses and bulls, the stupidly-brave clowns, the greasy over-priced food, and all of the announcer's super corny jokes!
 The boys enjoyed the rodeo, too, but their attention was often diverted to the nearby carnival, so TJ and I had to bribe them with several rodeo treats to keep them in their seats. In the end, they said they really liked it, though.
~
At Home: Trever's Graffiti
 One adjustment that we're still trying to appreciate (not sure if we ever will) is returning to apartment living. Now the boys are cooped up in the apartment, unless I have the time to go outside with them. (We're right by an active railroad, so I don't dare let them out on their own.) They get bored a lot, and I find things like this "Happy" written on my white bench! I couldn't even get mad at him, though, since it said "Happy." I'm just glad that he still feels that way, even though we've had to make some living adjustments.
~
The 4th of July 
 Trever was all geared up for a goofy 4th of July photo. We had a fun 4th here in CO. We were invited to two BBQ's. So, that afternoon, we went to a BBQ with TJ's work buddies. They all have kids about the age of our kids, so it was a fun (and hot @ 99 degrees!) afternoon of water games and good food. Then, for dinner, we went to a BBQ with some new friends from our ward, including backyard games, fireworks and S'mores. 
~
Summer Swimming
 We've only got one car right now, which TJ takes to work every day. So the boys and I find ourselves walking a lot. The good news is that everything we need is in walking distance: a local swimming pool, a great park with 2 playgrounds, cute Main Street shops, and our new favorite destination: Windsor Lake.
 
 The lake has a roped-off swimming area with a sandy beach area, and it's free! So, we go there very often. And, as you can see, the boys get super excited about it every time.
~
Train History Tour
 In this cute town of Windsor, we've got a fun little history tour near the lake. There's a caboose that we got to go inside and see, while listening to how the trains paved the way to settling towns like this in the west. 
 The boys loved the train best, but the tour also took us to an original old school house, a small one-bedroom cabin where families of 9-12 would live while farming sugar beets, and and old prayer house where people would gather on Sundays and other social events. I forgot to take pictures while we were in these buildings, though, since I was so busy making sure the boys didn't break anything. haha 
 This old church bell was donated to the city, and under it was a little fact plaque about Windsor Lake. It's a natural lake that was once a buffalo wallow, then became a source of irrigation for farmers, and now is a recreation area for boating, fishing and swimming. I found that more interesting that the boys, I think.
The best part of the tour for the boys was getting to ride on this replica railroad jig. I had to pull them away, literally. The best part of the tour for me was to take a step back in history and imagine how it must have been back then, when life was simpler, but still a lot of work. Plus, it was free, so that was pretty cool, too. haha
~
Anyway, we are still alive and as busy as usual. But I promise to keep this blog more updated, now that we're settled in and getting back to a routine.

1 comment:

emily a. said...

Good hearing from you. I'm so glad the move went okay and it sounds like you are doing well and getting to know your new town well. I bet it is hard getting used to an apt again after living in country paradise for a while.

I can't believe how grown up your boys are getting/looking. The b-day party looked like so much fun. That was a great idea!