Friday, September 4, 2009

BEFORE & AFTER'S

BEFORE:

Yesterday, I decided that the boys' hair had gotten shaggy enough (as you can see). So I put them in our bathtub, gave them each a popsicle, and started trimming Trever's hair first. But Nathan had no patience and no intention for waiting for his turn. He ate his popsicle as fast as he could, climbed out of the tub, and ran away every time I got near him with the clippers. I was so exhausted from chasing him and trying to coax him into getting a haircut that I finally gave up.

Then....after he fell asleep....I was curious to see just how deep asleep he was....if maybe I could trim his hair while he slept.....

And it worked! He slept through the whole thing!
I couln't believe it, so I had TJ snap a few photos for proof.


It was the easiest haircut I've ever done! Ha Ha!
AFTER:

So, here they are with their new haircuts. It's always so amazing to me how much older they look after I trim their hair!
.
.
On another note,
TJ recommended that I share our kitchen safety-gate issues:
BEFORE:
We first bought this simple safety gate to keep the boys out of the kitchen when I was cooking meals on the stove or in the oven. But soon enough, Trever discovered how to climb over it, and then taught Nathan to do the same. So the gate, which was no longer serving it's purpose, came down.
--Then, came the day that the boys spilled a gallon of milk on my carpet.--
So, we put the safety gate in front of the fridge door after that:

But it was onlyAlign Center a matter of time before Trever discovered how to reach over and unlatch the gate himself. And in no time, Trever's little demonstrations for Nathan paid off, and Nathan was unlatching the gate himself, as well.
The last thing I wanted was more milk on my carpet, so I searched online for these fridge door locks and had them shipped to us. They fulfilled their purpose to lock the fridge doors. But my sigh of relief only lasted a moment....because Nathan decided that climbing up on the counters would be just as entertaining. He would climb up on the counters every chance he could get and rummage through the cupboards and play in the sink.
.
But then, one night, TJ walked into the kitchen to find Nathan SITTING ON TOP OF THE FRIDGE! Of course, TJ panicked, pulled him down, and then had a light-bulb moment, saying: "Why don't we just buy another safety gate and stack them on top of each other...."

AFTER:

So that's just what we did. And, so far, it's the best remedy we've found. It seemed so obvious once TJ suggested it and I can't even count all the trouble we could have avoided if we had just thought of it sooner. But, I'm just glad we got the extra gate. Sure, it's a little more inconvenient passing through, but it's such a relief knowing the dangers of the kitchen are no longer in reach of our curious toddler's busy hands.
~Phew~

7 comments:

Amy said...

I am amazed that Nathan slept through a haircut! Ryan is such a light sleeper he would be awake in a second. The pictures are priceless. Your boys are darling but never cease to surprise me of what they will do next. Great kitchen proofing!

Doug and Mallena said...

Awesome idea! Did your kitchen get bigger once you moved downstairs, or is it the same layout as before?

I'm impressed with your cutting skills. Poor Doug has had more than one...uh...interesting hair cut.

Elaine said...

Your boys are so funny! I should try the gate thing for me, maybe it would help me loose weight!

The Schexnayders said...

So smart!!!

Lindsay said...

Such a good idea to cut his hair while he was sleeping! Their haircuts look great! I'd never have enough skill to be able to do that. And the double gate- genius!

Sierra Parke said...

Wow, I can't believe Nathan slept through his haircut! I'm going to have to try that one with Asher. I was laughing my head off reading about the safety gate issues. You are a clever writer Shilowe. Verry funny. I died laughing when I saw the last picture. That's one way to do it.

emily a. said...

Hilarious about Nathan's hair cut.