Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Mr. Pumpkin Face!









Monday evening, Trever lost a top tooth...which we learned are a lot harder to get out. But he was still a tough kid about it. My stomach ached as I watched him try again and again to pull that stubborn tooth out. But finally, I built up the courage to help him out. I stood behind him, with one hand on his forehead and one hand on his tooth. Then I pulled till he'd tell me to stop. We took two little breaks, and then, on our third attempt, the tooth came flying out and landed on the floor! Again, I screamed! And Trever froze in shock! After all that time, it finally popped out so fast! hahaha. I was pretty proud of myself for helping him out. But I was even more proud of Trever, who had to feel the pain of it all. He was so brave!
~
These are the parenting moments I love....re-living my own childhood (yes, even the painful things like this) and learning from my childrens' examples (in this case, Trever's bravery).
~
Children are such a wonderful blessing!
~
P.S. Here are a few of Nathan's recent funny quotes:

Nathan: "Mom, can I have a donut?"
Me: "After Lunch."
Nathan: "Okay, Can I have lunch?"

Nathan loves scary books. Lately, his favorite is: "The Very Hairy Scary Story."
One morning in the car, on our way to school...
Trever: "I can't get my seat belt on!!!"
Nathan: "Quit being a very hairy scary baby!!!"

One morning, Nathan was busy drawing pictures of Rudolph the Reindeer.
Me: "Are you excited for Christmas, Nathan?"
Nathan: "No. I'm excited for Halloween!"

Nathan still gets a little aggressive on occasion and I'm often his target.
He knows he's not supposed to hit, but sometimes he just can't control himself.
Well, the other day, he proudly declared:
"In four days, I'm not going to hurt you anymore!"

Last weekend, we took the boys to Wal-Mart to get their Halloween costumes.
Nathan was SO excited about his new costume.
The whole way through the store, he kept saying "Thank you SO much for the new costume!" Over and over again. Then, to add some real emphasis to his gratitude, he told me:
"Mom, thank you SO much for the new costume. I'm not going to hurt you anymore!"

Nathan really is a sweetie, though. Every time he's doing something naughty, he comes up to me and says, "Mom, I love you." His guilty little face always gives him away, though. So I ask, "What did you do?" To which he responds by pointing out the container of spilled "Nesquick" on my bed; or the leaking bucket of water filled with toy fish in the middle of the living room floor; or the new artwork/graffiti across the dining room walls. But that sweet little "I love you" always works wonders on his behalf. hahaha. I just don't know what I'd do without my cute little "Nay Nay." 

And, I can't leave out his bear hugs....that kid has got the tightest hugs you've ever felt! And when T.J. leaves for work in the morning, he's always chasing him out the door saying, "Oh, wait, another hug! Oh, wait, another kiss!" We can always depend on Nathan to get our loves.

1 comment:

The Roses said...

Wow, he is much braver than my kids were. Regan was a total drama queen when pulling her teeth out, and Keagan would never let me come anywhere near his loose teeth. Way to go Trever!